William Shakespeare Facts
FACTS ABOUT SHAKESPEARE
TOP 10 FACTS ABOUT SHAKESPEARE!
- There are many mysteries that surround the life of William Shakespeare - some are based on facts and some are based on fiction! Some are interesting facts, some are strange facts and some are down right weird facts
- Shakespeare was interesting! Check out our Top 10 Facts on Shakespeare!
- Trivia Fact 1 - No one knows the actual birthday of Shakespeare!
- Trivia Fact 2 - Anne Hathaway was eight years older than Shakespeare and three months pregnant when they got married!
- Trivia Fact 3 - Many Shakespeare life facts are unknown - these are referred to as the Lost Years
- Trivia Fact 4 - Shakespeare's Father, John was a money lender! He was accused in the Exchequer Court of Usury for lending money at the inflated rate of 20% and 25% Interest!
- Trivia Fact 5 - William Arden, a relative of Shakespeare's mother Mary Arden, was arrested for plotting against Queen Elizabeth I, imprisoned in the Tower of London and executed!
- Trivia Fact 6 - Shakespeare and his company built TWO Globe Theatres!
- Trivia Fact 7 - Shakespeare never published any of his plays!
- Trivia Fact 8 - Shakespeare and the Globe Actors were implicated in the Essex Rebellion of 1601!
- Trivia Fact 9 - Many eminent Authors and Politicians do not believe that Shakespeare wrote his plays...
- Trivia Fact 10 - Shakespeare's family were all illiterate!
MORE FACTS ON SHAKESPEARE!RUMOURS AND FACTS ABOUT SHAKESPEARE!
- Shakespeare's actual birthday is unknown but April 23rd has been generally used - the same day as St. George's Day, the Patron Saint of England - stranger still his actual date of death is also unknown and this has also been given April 23rd! Fact!
- William's father, John Shakespeare was the Mayor of Stratford
- There are rumours that Shakespeare left Stratford-upon-Avon to avoid prosecution for poaching a deer!
- Shakespeare is rumoured to be the father of an illegitimate son - William Davenant!
- We do not really know what Shakespeare looked like! Not one portrait was painted of Shakespeare whilst he was still alive!
- The majority of his plays were only published seven years after his death!
- Scandalous Facts! Shakespeare's daughter, Judith married a man called Thomas Quiney - but failed to get a special license to marry and, on March 12th 1616, Judith and Thomas Quiney were both excommunicated!
- More scandalous Shakespeare Family Facts! It transpired that Thomas Quiney had made another girl pregnant and was prosecuted for 'carnal copulation'
- The only mention that Shakespeare specifically makes of his wife in his Last Will and testament was to leave her his "second best bed"
- Shakespeare's grandchildren all died - he had no descendents